This program is designed to provide classroom work, yard and road driving experiences. Students are taught to drive defensively and gain the knowledge necessary to operate the vehicle as well as abide by all local, state and federal regulations. Students will be prepared for both the written and skills portions of the commercial drivers license (CDL) examination.
Broad Units of Study include Public/Customer/Employee/Employer Relations, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, CDL Regulations, Local, State & Federal Traffic Laws, Emergency Equipment Use, Road Atlas and Highway Routes, Instruments and Cab Controls, Engine & Air Brake Systems, Industry Related Paperwork, Weather Conditions, Hazard Perception, Emergency Maneuvers, Use of Clutch/Transmission/Gear Patterns, Coupling & Uncoupling Trailers, Defensive Driving Procedures and On the Road Driving.
|Time Commitment||Full Time|
|Typical Program Length||2 Months|
|Consumer Information||View Info|
- Fees will be assessed at orientation for a drug test and Moving Violation Report
- Fees will be assessed upon enrollment for tuition and insurance
- Provide proof of a least 10th grade education
- Be at least 21 years old
- Pass the medical exam required by the Department of Transportation
- Have a valid driver's license
- Have a good driving record (You must obtain a copy of your State Department of Safety Moving Violation Report prior to beginning the program.) This must indicate no more than 3 speeding tickets and/or at-fault accidents in the last three years and no DUI convictions in the last 5 years.
- Have a drug test and be certified drug free. A fee will be charged and the student will be referred to a test site by the college.
- Student will be subject to random drug tests while enrolled.
*The curriculum is covered in five weeks, at which point, students are skill tested, and may obtain their Commercial Driver’s License (CDL). Students that obtain their CDL, and have secured documented full time employment may opt out of the remaining class hours while still receiving a certificate of completion.
Students who do not pass their CDL exam, or who are not employed at the end of the five weeks, must complete the remaining required hours.
1405 Madison St.
Shelbyville, TN 37160
Drive a tractor-trailer combination or a truck with a capacity of at least 26,000 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight GVW . May be required to unload truck. Requires commercial drivers' license.
Bright Outlook: Yes
Currently employed in the area: 63,990
Current job openings per year: 7,510