Annual Security Reports
Campus Safety and Security
According to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, institutions which participate in Federal student financial aid programs are required to provide information to the public regarding campus safety and security policies and procedures. Statistics regarding crimes related to their campuses must also be reported.
An annual report (above) is submitted to the U.S. Department of Education yearly by October 1st.
For more information regarding policies, procedures, disciplinary action refer to the school catalog or contact Student Services. The Emergency Preparedness plan is available upon request in TCAT-Shelbyville Administration office.
Short Message Service (SMS) is a telecommunications protocol that allows the sending of text messages. In an effort to help alert students, faculty and staff of any emergencies that may be taking place within the school, the IT Department along with the coordination of Administration and Student Services and local law enforcement authorities have a policy in place to page the aforesaid individuals during a crisis in the event of an emergency. This system allows for short alert/emergency text messages to be sent within seconds of an event. The alert messaging system is found on the instructor's desk. In the event of an emergency, to use the phone system, pick up the phone, select a line and dial 9-911.
Weather Information and Policy
In the event of an emergency, stay calm. Follow the procedures outlined on this page, when addressing an emergency situation on campus. All contact information and procedures (detailed) are on campus and can be reviewed anytime.
EMERGENCY SCENARIOS AND INSTRUCTIONS
- Administration will alert the campus through the phone system or Nixle when threatening conditions exist.
- Move to a designated storm shelters and areas.
- Stay away from windows and doors.
- Stay out of large open areas.
- Wait for the “ALL CLEAR” signal before leaving shelter locations.
Fire that can be controlled by a fire extinguisher. Direct fire extinguisher toward the base of the fire. Have others call 9-911 and alert administration.
NOTE: Major Fire cannot be controlled by a fire extinguisher!
- Activate fire alarm.
- Contact 9-911 and then alert administration
- Close all doors and windows, if possible, to contain the fire.
- Evacuate the building and stay low or crawl to stay below the smoke.
- Cover your nose and mouth to keep from inhaling the smoke.
- Go to your designated area if it is safe to do so.
- Wait for the “ALL CLEAR“ signal before returning to the building.
- During an evacuation, faculty, staff and students should promptly proceed to the nearest exit in a timely manner.
- Assist persons with disabilities during the evacuation.
Medical & Mental Health Emergencies
- Contact 9-911
- Contact Administration
- When indoors, seek shelter in a doorway or under a desk or table and avoid glass shelves or heavy equipment. When shaking stops, evacuate building and do not return until “ALL CLEAR“ signal is given.
- When outdoors, move away from the building, trees and utility poles.
Threats of Violence & Criminal Behavior
- Contact your instructor or administration immediately.
- Gunfire: Immediately take cover or evacuate.
- Hostage: Chances of survival are much higher if you fight back. Avoid getting into a vehicle with a captor. If threatened with a weapon, remain calm.
- Contact your instructor or administration immediately
- If a suspicious object is found, do not handle the object. Clear the immediate area.
- If a bomb threat call is received keep the caller on the line and record as much information as possible about the call and the caller.
For more information on Policies and Procedures, contact:
Laura Monks, President
Michael Klouser, Vice President
Mike Miller, Asst. IT Manager
Crime in Tennessee Report
2021 Crime in Tennessee Report
Policies and Guidelines: Campus Diversity, Discrimination, and Violence
- Title IX and Process for Filing Title IX Complaints
- Process for Filing Title VI Complaints