How to Apply for Education Benefits
To apply for benefits, visit the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP) and select the “Apply for Benefits” option.
- Select the red “I Am a New VONAPP User” link.
- Read the directions and select “Continue.”
- If you do not have an eBenefits Account, then select the red “No, Create a VONAPP Account” link.
- Click the drop-down arrow to select the education benefits you wish to apply to receive.
- Continue, following each screen’s directions.
- Provide the VA with your banking information to receive payments by direct deposit.
Once the application process is complete, veterans will receive a “Certificate of Eligibility” by mail from the VA, stating their percentage of entitled benefits and their school and training program of choice.
How Much Money Will I Receive?
Monthly education pay is based on which GI Bill the veteran is entitled to receive and the length of the qualifying military service. Current payment rates can be found by visiting the VA online rate tables. Post-9/11 GI Bill recipients’ tuition and fees payments will be sent directly to the school. Monthly housing allowance and books/supplies stipends are sent directly to the student.
What Must I Do to Receive Payment?
Copies of the following documents must be submitted to the VA School Certifying Official (SCO), located in Student Services:
- Certificate of Eligibility—1st day of training
- DD Form 214—1st day of training
- Post-secondary Transcripts—within two trimesters of beginning training*
The SCO will then certify the veteran’s enrollment with the VA. Once the VA receives a veteran's enrollment information, it can take 6-8 weeks for payment to be received. On the last day of each month, veterans will verify their enrollment with the VA's Web Automated Verification of Enrollment WAVE) form, or by calling 1-877-823-2378. (NOTE: Post-9/11 GI Bill recipients do not complete monthly enrollment verifications.)
*Upon admission into a program of study, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) requires that all students be evaluated and granted appropriate credit for any program related skills in which they show proficiency.
What Will Impact My Payments?
- Prior training for which you are granted credit
- Breaks in training greater than 7 days
What if I Attended a Previous School or Training Program?
Complete VA Form 22-1995 online to transfer your training to the TCAT. VRAP recipients will complete VA Form 22-1990R online.
Which GI Bill Chapters Can Be Used at the TCATs?
- Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)
- Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty (Chapter 30)
- Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
- Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP/Chapter 1607)
- Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP/Chapter 32)
- Survivors’ & Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA/Chapter 35)
NOTE: VA education benefits can only be used for full-time on-campus programs.
Where Can I Find More Information?
Students can access their information and submit questions to the VA by the following methods:
- Chapters 30, 35, 1606, 1607: Use the WAVE form, or call 877-823-2378.
- Chapter 33 — Use the eBenefits site
For a list of VA requirements, download the VA Student Checklist below.
For additional questions, contact the VA representative in the Student Services Department at 931-685-5013, ext. 150.