This program is designed to give the student both theory and clinical experience in the nursing field in order to meet criteria to pass the National Council License Exam (NCLEX) and practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse. Upon completion of the course, the graduate will be able to understand the role of the practical nurse on the nursing team, practice nursing safely and understand related information, appreciate health as related to the individual, the family, and the community, demonstrate skill in understanding behavior in relation to patients, co-workers, family and friends, recognize scientific principles which form a background for nursing, demonstrate communication skills in observing and reporting, demonstrate competency in theory and clinical performance, recognize the need for continued self-direction in personal and vocational growth and give nursing care to clients under the supervision of a registered nurse, licensed physician, dentist, opthalmologist or optometrist.
|Time Commitment||Part Time|
|Typical Program Length||16 Months|
NOTE: Practical Nursing program inquiries and applications are handled through Admissions, at TCAT Shelbyville’s main campus. Failure to follow instructions from Admissions could result in missing deadlines, receiving incorrect information, and a missed enrollment opportunity. Applications for one TCAT are not transferrable to another.
Start Dates for Upcoming Practical Nursing Cohorts:
- Full-time, Daytime Shelbyville Main Campus - September 2021
- Part-time, Evening Shelbyville Main Campus - 2022
*Effective 5/19/2020, cohort postponed until May 2021.
- Part-time, Evening Franklin County Extension Campus - 2022
Class Schedule for Practical Nursing Cohorts:
- The Full-time, Daytime Practical Nursing cohort meets Monday through Friday from 7:45 a.m. to 2:15 p.m. (until clinical practice begins). Prior to beginning clinical practice, an alternate schedule will be provided by the instructor.
- The Part-time, Evening Practical Nursing cohorts meet Monday through Thursday from 3:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. (until clinical practice begins). Prior to beginning clinical practice, an alternate schedule will be provided by the instructor.
- Select and complete the 04 Special Industry/Supplemental Application Type for application to the Anatomy &Physiology and/or Math for Meds pre-requisite course(s).
- Please be advised that it is recommended that the two prerequisite courses be taken in separate trimesters due to the level of difficulty of course curricula.
- Prerequisite courses are offered at TCAT Shelbyville’s main campus and Franklin County extension campus during the evening hours, starting in January, May and September. Specific course meeting schedules are published to the institutional website by December, April, and August of each year.
- Select and complete the 01 New College Applicant or 02 Returning TCAT Application Type for application to the Practical Nursing program.
- Check your personal and campus email accounts for official enrollment notifications from Admissions and act accordingly.
- Review program Books and Supplies Lists on the institutional website for cost estimations. Do not purchase books or supplies until you begin classes. Books and supplies are subject to change without notice.
- Review Bookstore and Textbook information on the institutional website for the contact and ordering information.
Submit the following mandatory items to Admissions in the Office of Student Services at TCAT Shelbyville’s main campus:
- Proof of High School completion or Equivalent/GED in the form of an official transcript (sealed document from the high school or state).
- Proof of two Measles, Mumps, and Rubella vaccinations.
- Proof of two Varicella vaccinations.
- Successfully complete the Anatomy & Physiology and/or Math for Meds prerequisite course(s) from TCAT Shelbyville with a minimum grade of 80 (eighty) in the following terms for priority deadline dates:
- Spring term for a Fall (September) Practical Nursing cohort start
- Summer term for a Spring (January) Practical Nursing cohort start
- Fall term for a Summer (May) Practical Nursing cohort start.
- Please be advised that successful completion of pre-requisite courses does not guarantee entrance into a practical nursing cohort program. TCAT Shelbyville Practical Nursing program enrollment is based on a first-come, first-serve basis by date of completed application. A completed application includes all mandatory items required for enrollment.
Transferring of Anatomy & Physiology Credits: If you have already taken Anatomy and Physiology from a Tennessee college or university that is Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), or Commission on Occupation Education (COE) accredited, your credits may transfer to TCAT Shelbyville. The official college transcript must indicate a grade of B or above in Anatomy & Physiology I and Anatomy & Physiology II, with a successful completion date no more than 5 (five) years prior to starting a TCAT Shelbyville Practical Nursing cohort program.
**TCAT Shelbyville no longer offers the Math Challenge Exam (MET).
Students who withdrawal or terminate from another Tennessee College of Applied Technology Practical Nursing program, seeking enrollment into one of TCAT Shelbyville’s programs, will be required to start at the beginning of a practical nursing cohort. TCAT Shelbyville Practical Nursing students that do not successfully complete a trimester, will be allowed to return at the beginning of the unsuccessful term, for one occasion only.
The Practical Nursing handbook can be found below. This handbook will provide information regarding the classroom and outline policies, rules, and regulations.
925 Dinah Shore Blvd
Winchester, TN 37398
1405 Madison St.
Shelbyville, TN 37160
Care for ill, injured, or convalescing patients or persons with disabilities in hospitals, nursing homes, clinics, private homes, group homes, and similar institutions. May work under the supervision of a registered nurse. Licensing required.
Bright Outlook: Yes
Currently employed in the area: 25,660
Current job openings per year: 2,460